Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Small Victories, Incremental steps

The move was a success in that we were able to get all of our items out of the cabin and into the farm! We were lucky enough to have so much help (both before during a work weekend) and the big move. I'd really like to elaborate, but that is going to have to wait until another day. Exhausted would be less tired then we are right now. We managed to get wood delivered Sunday, and it's half stacked out of the weather. The other half is covered in a tarp, still in the driveway.

The rabbits, dogs and cats are all getting settled- we still have to build pens for the sheep and chickens and move them over. We have hot water, but still have some plumbing work to do. The spring needs a repair (hopefully next week if it warms up), and the kitchen sink is a disaster. I'm not super handy with water as it turns out, and despite my best efforts, we have a less-leaky hot water tap and still no cold water in the kitchen. I'm viewing it as a learning experience and celebrating the fact that we were at least able to do the dishes tonight. I did manage to replace a heating element in the new hot water heater though without much incident. We have showers (though they are really really short do the repair needed in the spring). There are literally boxes and bags EVERY where. We have some curtains up, to save some heat- but the amount of unpacking needed is pretty obscene. We still have to work, so we are just trying to do what we can before 8pm at which point we force ourselves to sit down.

I'm ecstatic, to say the least to be in our very own farm. And I know it's going to be amazing. But, in a fit of leaky pipe rage I also resisted the urge to put a hole in the wall. That's really a cue as to the stress around here, as usually nothing gets to me. I think the process of getting the house back in shape is going to be a real test of our characters. Trial and error, that's for sure.

I swear, there will be pictures soon of all of the hard work that we had help with before we moved in. But right now, chocolate chip cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment