Sausage and Kale Pizza Bread
1 pizza dough (either homemade or store bought, but not a rolled-out crust, the actual ball of dough)
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
1 bunch kale
½ lb ground sausage or 2 links of sausage
2 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper
Pinch of basil (fresh or dried)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400
- In a medium size skillet, sautee the sausage. If using ground, break it up, if links- cut into slices or chunks. Add the two cloves of crushed garlic.
- Once the sausage is two thirds of the way cooked, add in your kale, cut or broken into bite-size pieces.
- Once the kale is wilted slightly, and the sausage is done, remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll out your dough into an oblong shape. Be cautious not to roll your dough too thin, as you will need to work it a bit.
- Spread your kale and sausage mix down the center of your dough. Sprinkle your salt, pepper and basil on top.
- Top the mix with the cheese.
- Slowly roll the dough and mix up (like a Stromboli or a little Debbie swiss cake), taking care to seal the ends of the dough so the kale/sausage goodness doesn’t leak out.
- Carefully shimmy your roll onto a baking sheet that has been dusted with cornmeal.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, or until your crust is golden brown.
- Slice and serve with a light marinara for dipping if desired. We eat this as a main course with salad and another veggie, or as an appetizer solo.