Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Being thankful

It's a good practice to always think of what one is grateful for, and many folks think about it especially this time of year. I try to be thankful a bit each day but it can be hard when your body is sore and your mind is racing.

A few years ago I lost a friend in a terrible car wreck. She was very young, just planning for grad school and one of the hardest workers I have ever met. During services in her honor, I learned she had kept a journal dedicated to what she was thankful for. This didn't surprise me about her, she was one of those people who genuinely appreciated others, and believed in good. Since that time, I've often paused myself in a moment of tantrum about something stupid to just be thankful. It's not always easy, and there are circumstances when I don't want to try and find that bright spot. But being thankful isn't supposed to always be easy, or pretend everything's grand. I think it's mostly about acknowledging that every moment is temporary and the great moments are worth playing back. It's about acknowledging the negative, but moving forward to the good.

So today, I'm thankful for many things, including friendly neighbors who drop off firewood and stop to chat. My back is sore, I'm worried about income, and I have to go to traffic court for a speeding ticket. But I'm also thankful. It's a good habit to get in to, and not just because there is a holiday around the corner dictating it. More because in a moment, everything will change and we need to replay the good to cope with the less good.

No comments:

Post a Comment