Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Wanted- Young Farmers

When I was a kid, I got steam rolled into attending college to escape a pretty negative family situation, because I had good grades and because that's what everyone did. But when it came right down to it- I probably shouldn't have gone. Not only did I not have the financial resources to pay for college at that point, but I was a fairly traumatized kid with no real idea of where I wanted to go with my professional life. I still was successful in college, participating in campus life to the fullest and attaining great grades. But, looking back and now faced with loans after having to drop out due to finances and a variety of other factors- I'm not sure it was the best choice for me. I had an interest in agriculture from the time I was very young (third grade all the way through high school) but was steered away because I was 'smart'. I'm not sure when in our culture we associated agriculture with a lack of intelligence, but it's a mistake. Running a business, managing crops and livestock, marketing, budgeting, all of these tasks stretch my intellect and body in ways I'd never imagined. There's no 'easy way out' about farming. 

So we both try to talk to college-age folks about the choices they have, and encourage them to think critically about their options before just going to college. College is an amazing experience, and there is much to be said for higher education. But getting into a ton of debt to be educated in a field you probably won't pursue isn't necessarily going to make your job prospects or future brighter. Taking time, or a few classes of interest at a community college should be a respected option. And of course for students interested in agriculture--we should foster that interest to the best of our abilities. So tomorrow, we are going to put our time where our mouths are and participate in this event:

Taconic Hills Central School District

Welcomes the New Farmer Narrative Project


Brought to you by the students of the HARVEST Club

(HARVEST - Healthy Agriculture Resources by Volunteers and Educators in Science and Technology)
An opportunity for students, aspiring farmers
and other community members interested
in agriculture to talk to new farmers.

Date: Wednesday, December 19th, 2012
Time: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Where: Taconic Hills High School Cafeteria
Interested in local agriculture?


Considering a farming future?

Want to know more about what it takes to start a farm?

Interested in how other farmers have fulfilled their dreams of starting farms?

Then come out on 12/19/12 as new local farmers share their experiences, answer questions and engage in a conversation about what it means to pursue farming.  

With New Farmers from: Common Hands Farm (Claverack), Cool Whisper Farm (Hillsdale), Lineage Farm (Claverack), New Leaf Farm (Hillsdale), R’Eisen Shine Farm (Copake), Row by Row Farm (Chatham) and Sol Flower Farm (Ancram)…among others

Cool right? I'm looking forward to it! I can't just spout off on the internet and expect change. Getting our thoughts out there via the blog is good, but this gives us an opportunity to interact with people in a different setting. We'll report back how it goes, and if you're near by we hope to see you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment