Thursday, January 24, 2013

Action and Results

Spent the morning and early afternoon running our friend Amy to Albany this morning to meet another friend headed to her next destination. It's always sad to see her go, she lives across the country and it will be years before I see her again most likely. Amy is the kind of friend everyone wants but few are lucky enough to have. Loyal, easy going, genuine and hilarious. We don't talk often on the phone or in emails but three days on the farm together and it's easy and laughter and wordless hanging out. We always know where each other stands --that's rare and lucky.

On the way home I stopped to pick up some cold fighting supplies. The bitter freeze continues here, and I'm tired. I'm tired of loading the wood stove every two hours even in the middle of the night. I'm tired of frozen rabbit water bottles, of wind burnt hands and ice in buckets. I know it's part of the deal, but after so many days in a row of miserable cold I'm just tired. I picked up extra water bottles for the rabbits, so we can just switch them out instead of fighting to thaw them each time. I also got an electric water defroster for the horses. All unplanned expenses but this arctic blast plans on staying for another few days and we are losing the battle.

By the time I got home though, the wood stove was a pale flicker. I'm still playing catch up with the temperature indoors. I knew it would be the case, but the cold creeping into every corner of the farm was dramatic. Inside it was cold, outside every animal and bird was frosted and in need of care. Five hours is too long in this weather. Even wrapped up in several layers I barely trudged through the hours it took to get the livestock settled. As a reward I'm sitting in a still chilly living room with a glass if wine. Hey, if the wood stove won't warm me- something has to.

Sleep well friends, I'll be stoking our fires and catching some rest as I can.

2 comments:

  1. I've just got my woodstove back up to optimum burn and will retreat in a minute or two to my bed which is preheated wth three orange juice jugs full of hot water. I'll stay there for a few hours then hop out, run the taps full tilt for a bit then return them to trickle mode and lug in more wood and refill the stove. I live in an almost 200 year old house, cold and drafty but impossible to warm the last few days - I'm tired, but we are now at a balmy 7F outdoors, and by Tuesday we'll be above freezing. You just hang on and do what you have to do, although at going on 75 I don't know how much longer I can do it, but the rest of the year makes it all worthwhile in my view.

    ReplyDelete