Thursday, January 3, 2013

More than one way to heat a farm

As we all know its very very cold. -3 this morning while I was doing the chores. So while we search for another stove, it's pretty chilly in the drafty 1850's farm house. With less to do outside, I'm content to stay indoors. Though the mini string of bad luck is still in hot pursuit. Our computer caught a nasty case of malware, and won't be fixed at least until tonight when I get my hands on a recovery disk. I have a back up with the iPhone, but it's no good for the supply ordering or research that needs to be done. And we are still working on the bank, so though I could set up all of my orders, I can't actually do the purchasing. So pardon if this post has more typos, I'm working from a very tiny keyboard.

There are some high points though, we got the confirmation for the draft class! And, I kept the farm house warmer last night with a great new quick bread recipe I modified. It's below for your enjoyment- I hope it helps you take the edge of this weather too!

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk*
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped and soaking in warm water
3 tablespoons dried herb mix
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
Cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Set aside.
3.Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, and egg whites, stirring with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in onion, garlic, drained tomatoes and spices.
4. Spread batter into an 8 x 4–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

*you can make buttermilk by adding vinegar to milk, about a tblspn per cup. Let it sit for a minute and you can see it change. If I only have skim milk, I usually add a bit of 1/2 and 1/2 to up to fat content.

Original recipe can be found here:
http://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/kalamata-olive-bread-with-oregano-10000001867556/
Sorry for no hyperlink, again it's an iPhone post!

Stay warm all.

No comments:

Post a Comment