Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Yep, it's a cold one

This weather, as we've talked about before, adds a brutal element to the chores and long nights. The wood stove has to be tended all night long, so we camp out in our living room so all I have to do is roll over every two hours rather than dragging myself from under the covers upstairs. After a night of battling the cold, then it's time to bundle up and see how the rest of the living beings fared. Everyone this morning was in good spirits, but thirsty. It took a good hour and a half to get everyone settled with their rations and defrosted water- I even had to fill five gallon buckets in the bathtub of hot water for the horses.We need a de-icer for the horses, asap. The hoses in the greenhouse are frozen solid, even with the additional heat in there. Usually morning chores take about 30 minutes, so by the time I was done the coffee on the stove looked divine. I'm thawing out now, with some breakfast and a strong cup.

Our house guest and good friend, Amy took some really beautiful farm photos yesterday in the cold clear sun. I thought I'd share!

!







1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! I love the one with the goat playing leap-frog. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete