Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday looks a lot different today!


This morning, I woke up and was almost ready to get up and get ready for my work day. This would have entailed getting dressed for the office and making a list in my head of all the things that needed to get done that day, wondering what messages waited for me on the answering machine at work.

But today was not every Monday, it was the first day of my full time employment on the farm! I say full time, but I've been pulling double duty for a year, working 4 days a week as an advocate for residents of long term care facilities, and 3 days a week on the farm. But we're expanding and that means we need more hands to do the work around here. Luckily, I got the job :)

So what did my first official day on the job look like? We started out with morning rounds, obviously. We had coffee and breakfast and then went out to stack our wood pile and splitting what was left of the larger logs. Then, we moved on to the Spring Clean Up. 

Spring Clean Up looks a lot like yard work. Cause it is. But, at R'Eisen Shine Farm, it also looks like picking up the debris that's left behind from the winter. Buried items left after the snow has melted. The wind is crazy here, so it often blows recycling and other items around without us knowing it. We raked around our trees and the beds in front of the house. After the raking, we moved some compost and cleaned up some of the creeping vines and weeds from around the house and barn. In between all of this we had a very brief hail storm! Evening rounds followed. 

We're now waiting on a load of grain to come in so we can unload and call it a day. 

All in all, a busy and exhausting day, exactly what I was expecting. I'm really excited to be here, taking care of the animals and the business itself. It's hard not to feel like a part timer when you're putting in part time hours. You can also expect to hear more from me on the blog! 


No comments:

Post a Comment